Friday, August 19, 2011

I write for the day

If I write daily
I might
Stumble upon an original thought
And should that happen, I would tell the world
In a way it would not forget:
Print the thought on t-shirts
Or pay to have it written in the sky
Or belly of blimp,
Or bumper sticker,
Or packs of tissue for the throngs of Shibuya to blow their noses.

What can I say to make your day, people?
Haven't poets of old said all you need to feel alive?
John Keats, John Kerouac, and Joyce Kilmer,
Didn't they say enough to fill in the emptiness
Be it a cup of tea,
A bee staring at me,
Or a God-made tree?

I feel life force emanating from every word of every good poem I've read
As they save the world one loving word at a time.
And I want to thank those who wrote them for saving my world, too.
So I call on you, heroes of mine,
To give me voice and rhyme
To write the poem of our time
To capture an original thought
For all to see, to read, to mock
Yet own its truth together,
Sung like Billy's blues
Felt in every fiber of every body
That walks this earth with me now.

I write for the day
Such a thought will dawn on my soul
With enlightenment far, far beyond what I know I can never hold.




No comments: